Saturday, April 30, 2005

Time and Talent

Our annual church Fiesta is happening this weekend. I am assuming that this is the biggest fundraiser of the year for our church and school. It would not be successful without all of the volunteers working.

One thing that I observed, was how much time some of the volunteers spend at the Fiesta. Some of them spend their whole weekend there, from Friday night until Sunday night. I was talking to one of these people and he said that he takes 3 days off from work before the Fiesta to help set up, organize and prepare. This is only one of many examples of giving oneself for others I noticed. Very impressive.

The Church teaches us to give of our time, talent and treasure (3 T's). While giving of our treasure is important for the maintenance of our parish, I really believe that giving of ones time and talents are worth a little bit more.