Sunday, April 24, 2005

Our Miracle Baby

Well, all babies are miracles.

Today is Marisa's fifth birthday. I am very thankful that she is in our lives.

In the first trimester of Lisa's second pregnancy, there were complications. I am not going to get graphic, but there were signs that Lisa had miscarried. We rushed to the emergency room to see what was going on. I remember there being a lot of people in the waiting room. We started to fill out the necessary forms but Lisa was getting very anxious and went to the desk to tell the nurse what she thought was happening. We were immediately rushed in to see the doctor. He was very nice and spent a lot of time checking things out. He said that he wanted to have an ultrasound done. We waited. It seemed like we waited for an over an hour. It was probably only about 10-15 minutes.

When the ultrasound technician finally arrived, Lisa asked if this test would determine if the baby is okay. The first thing that the technician said to us was, "Oh, it is okay, you can always try to have more babies." I didn't realize at the time how serious and insensitive this response was. Um, that didn't answer the question. After hooking up the machine and looking around for awhile, the technician found a heartbeat. Her reaction was one of complete surprise and relief. I guess that the hospital staff was expecting the worst.

Perhaps this experience is the reason that I am so intensely pro-life. I don't know. Our baby was not born, yet some of us thought that she had died. Thank you Marisa for being so strong. No more practical jokes, please. Yes, we already know you are very good at hide-and-seek. Happy Birthday.

Happy  Birthday, Marisa!
Marisa's brand new super cool birthday inline skates!