Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Heredity Is A Powerful Thing

It is amazing to me some of the things that come naturally to my children that I never have to teach them. I discovered one of these innocuous things recently.

Alex will not use a public urinal that does not have dividers between them. On our vacation, we have had to use a lot of public rest rooms. I found out about a dilemma that Alex had at the airport when we went to use the rest room before our flight. We went in, and saw that the urinals are lined up for 'miles'. However, they were not divided by any sort of partition between them. So for fear of having someone straddle up next to him, he went into one of the stalls to take care of his business, standing up.

This is what I naturally do. But I do not think that I have ever done this while he was with me. I have this fear and loathing of urinating in public. I can do it if there are dividers, otherwise I will use a stall or just wait until I can find a better place to pee. Even if I drank a super mega giant big gulp of Coke, I would have a strange type of stage fright and would just stand there without anything happening if someone came in and stood right next to me without a divider between us. The floodgates would open up as soon as he stepped away. Don't even get me started on those public rest rooms that just have a big tub that the male humans will gather around to relieve themselves. Dodger Stadium still has these primitive things. They lose concession sales from me because of this fact.

Isn't heredity is a funny thing?