Thursday, August 18, 2005

Father Richard McBrien, Ugh

I knew it all along. Now I have confirmation from the Cardinal Newman Society that Fr. Richard McBrien, a theology professor at the University of Notre Dame, "is a notorious dissenter from basic Catholic doctrines regarding the nature of God and the sacraments." See the Action Alert (.pdf) from their website.

The Southern California Catholic Weekly paper, The Tidings, prints McBrien's columns almost every week. Here is his column from August 5, 2005 where he says that the removal of Terri Schiavo's feeding tube, "...was entirely consistent with traditional Catholic moral principles." Yikes!

I wrote a letter to the editor that was published in The Tidings a few years ago where I expressed reasons why they should not print his articles. I am not against publishing opposing points of views. My main point was that as a priest, Fr. Richard carries a lot more weight and authority when he expresses an opinion. Some may think that he speaks for the Church.

I think that it may be time to send off another letter to express my feelings.