We all attended the Easter Vigil Mass at St. Martin de Porres Church in Yorba Linda. We were invited there to witness the baptism, confirmation, and first communion of an eight year old friend. This was the first time that I attended the Easter Vigil since the day that I received the Sacraments of Initiation in 2001. It was a very nice service. It was good to be a spectator rather than a participant. I got a completely different perspective. In 2001, it was all a blur. I do not remember hearing seven bible readings before the Gospel. I do not remember it being a three hour Mass. I vaguely remember being anointed with oil. I really must have been in a daze the whole time.
Lisa became a Catholic in 1998. My son Alex was baptized that same year. My daughter Marisa was baptized in 2000. I was actually the last in my family to receive my first church Sacrament. We named Alex after this particular St. Alexander (there are many saints named Alexander). I took the name of Alexander as my confirmation name. How many people can say that they were named after their child? I remembered this interesting fact because I was able to watch the anointing of the neophytes last night as the priest asked what their 'name' is.
Watching the baptisms last night also got me thinking about my own baptism. A birth into a new and supernatural life. I wonder how many of you remember the date of your baptism? Do you celebrate that date as much as your birth into the world anniversary? I had never really thought about the significance of this before last night. I will really think about my baptism when my four year 'birthday' comes up on April 14th.
Sunday, March 27, 2005
Easter Vigil Reflections
Posted by
Donn
at
10:12 AM
Subscribe to:
Comment Feed (RSS)


















|