I shared with my weekly faith sharing group that I have been struggling with my own sacrifice to others. I don't think that I am sacrificing enough. Yes, some people will say that I am making a sacrifice because I am the stay-at-home Dad. Or, because of my support for my wife while she is working hard on her doctorate degree. I personally don't really feel that these are sacrifices. It is just something that I do. Is a sacrifice only a sacrifice when you know that it is a sacrifice?
I believe that I received an answer at Mass today. The Gospel reading today has Jesus eating with tax collectors and sinners. The Pharisees question this action. Jesus says to them, "Those who are well do not need a physician, but the sick do. Go and learn the meaning of the words, 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' I did not come to call the righteous but sinners."
The message that I received is that I shouldn't focus on my own sacrifices right now, I should focus on having mercy for others. Yes, at times I do tend to look down upon people who do not agree with me on certain issues. I need to be able to sit down with my own 'tax collectors' and be able to admit that I am a sinner too.
Also, see Father Dennis' homily.
Sunday, June 05, 2005
Mercy Greater Than Sacrifice
Posted by
Donn
at
9:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Comment Feed (RSS)


















|