Saturday, January 22, 2005

The Susan G. Koman Foundation Connection

This is an older (Sept. 2004) 'controversy', but I thought I'd revive it here for those who may not be aware of it.

There is an unholy alliance between the Susan G. Koman Foundation (SGKF) and Planned Parenthood (PP). Be careful when you 'race for the cure' or support SGKF in any other capacity. SGKF has been very successful in raising significant amounts of money for breast cancer research and awareness. However, their relationship with the number one abortion advocate/provider in the nation, PP, has to be taken into consideration when donating your time or money. Eva Sanchez Silver, a charter member of the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation's National Hispanic/Latina Advisory Council, resigned her position, noting that SGKF affiliates have given nearly half a million dollars to PP chapters across the country. Silver commented, "It makes me wonder what other abortion related agendas SGKF may be supporting, like the black-out on the 16 statistically significant epidemiological studies linking abortion to breast cancer. Is one hand washing the other?"

I found a forum thread that is interesting because both sides of the issue on whether having an abortion increases the chances of getting breast cancer is discussed. I am not sure if there is a credible scientific study that supports this hypothesis yet, but there does seem to be a correlation between the two. There is no doubt about the SGKF/PP link, however. There are many other cancer research organizations that you can support. Please do your own homework before supporting any group or organization.