Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Music Review: U2 - How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

Usually when I get a new CD, it takes me a few times listening to it before I start to like and appreciate the music and lyrics. The new U2 CD How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb did not even need a complete playing before I knew that this is a very good album.

It is not as cluttered as previous albums Pop and Zooropa. To me, it seems like the group has gone back to the feel of some of their earlier (and better) albums like Joshua Tree or War. Simplicity. On most of the tracks, you really get a sense of The Edge's haunting guitar sound. Think of the "New Year's Day" riff. Bono's voice has never been better. Recently, I have been paying a lot more attention to the lyrics of songs. Whereas in the past I would completely ignore them and listen only to the music. I would say that the lyrics on this album have a kind of positive spirituality to them. Words for a better world. Inspiring if we are open to the messages.

I am glad that U2 is back (for me). I had lost track of them for the past 8 years or so. U2 is still the 'coolest' band ever. I don't even care that they have sold their souls to Steve Jobs.

Donn's rating: 9 of 10 stars