I have recently 'discovered' the shorthanded tables. These are poker tables that have a maximum of 5 or 6 players versus full ring games that have a max of 9 or 10 players.
I am doing considerably better at these hold 'em tables. Looking at my stats, I find that after about 65 table-hours played (a relatively small sample), I am winning more than twice as much per hour over the full/longhanded tables. Here are some of my theories as to why there is such a big discrepancy:
--You are able to see more flops, as you do not have to wait around for premium starting hands. This is advantageous for the better player.
--Some players like to raise pre-flop with almost anything. This will thin the field and your chances of winning heads-up (or so) are higher.
--When you do catch a good hand post-flop, players are less likely to give you credit for that hand and they will call you down.
--The quality of the players seems to be a lot weaker.
--Players tend to bluff a lot more at these tables. You can use this to your advantage by playing a little bit more aggressively.
--You are able to 'steal' the pot more often with a bet from late position when you are first to bet into the pot post-flop.
I'll probably be playing these shorthanded tables a majority of the time from now on.
Wednesday, November 16, 2005
Shorthanded Ring Games
Posted by
Donn
at
12:46 AM
Subscribe to:
Comment Feed (RSS)


















|