A good friend from Hawaii just had a surprise yakudoshi party. While I am familiar with the term, I have never really understood the meaning or significance of it. Thanks to Darin, he showed me a link titled Japanese Traditions on the Japanese Cultural Center of Hawai'i website that explains certain Japanese traditions. I wonder if I have anything to fear as my 41st birthday rapidly approaches?
Yakudoshi - Bad luck ages are referred to as yakudoshi, with yaku meaning “calamity” or “calamitous” and doshi signifying “year(s).” These years are considered critical or dangerous because they are believed to bring bad luck or disaster. For men, the ages 24 and 41 (or 25 and 42 in Japan) are deemed critical years, with 41 being especially critical. It is customary in these unlucky years to visit temples and shrines to provide divine protection from harm. In Hawaii, it has become a widespread tradition among men of Japanese ancestry to celebrate the 41st birthday with a festive yakudoshi party or gathering to ward off the bad luck or disaster that may strike. The birthday person should wear red to bring good health, vitality and long life.
Sunday, September 18, 2005
Yakudoshi
Posted by
Donn
at
9:09 PM
Subscribe to:
Comment Feed (RSS)


















|