Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Poker Quiz

I am in the middle of reading at great poker book. The Professor, the Banker, and the Suicide King: Inside the Richest Poker Game of All Time tells of the biggest cash game in the history of poker. I find it interesting because it vividly tells the story about some of the professional poker players that we see on television all the time. I will review it soon. I am about half done.

There is an interesting quiz that Andy Beal (the banker), wanted answered. So he ran computer tests to find the results. The following are the questions and answers. They are very enlightening things to know when playing heads-up texas hold 'em.

1. What is the lowest card you could have in your hand and expect to win more than half the time regardless of second card? King. K-2 wins more than half the time.
2. What is the unpaired, unsuited hand with the lowest high card that would win more than half the time? 10-8 offsuit wins more than half the time.
3. What is the lowest suited hand that would win more than half the time? 9-6 suited.
4. What are the highest suited hand that would not win more than half the time? J-2 suited wins 50% of the time.
5. What are the worst hands that would win more than half the time? Q-3 offsuit, J-4 suited, 2-2, J-3 suited, Q-4 offsuit, all hover right above the 50% mark.