Monday, September 26, 2005

A Positive Car Repair Experience

Do you ever get the feeling that automobile mechanics are out to scam you? I get this feeling every time that I have to get service on our vehicles. Over the past few months I've had to have a new timing belt, new brakes, new tires, and a new radiator put into my 11 year old van. I have had to have new tires, a new battery, and the clutch replaced on our 7 year old car. It seems to be a never ending cycle. Hey, at least we don't have any car payments!

Today, I took the car into Pep Boys because there was a horrible scratching sound that was coming from under the car. It sounded like the whole bottom was going to fall out. I felt really lucky that I was able to get it to their garage. I could see dollar signs in the sales mechanic's eyes as I was describing the problem. I left the car with them and we walked home. I was really in a bad mood on the walk home and for the couple of hours following, waiting to hear the verdict and the monetary damage.

I received 'the call', and hesitantly picked up the phone. The mechanic said that the car was fixed. They had to take something apart and found a small rock between the rotor (whatever that is) and some other thingamajiggy. I didn't even ask how much it would be. I was just glad that it was repaired and it didn't sound like it was a major job. When I received my car keys, I asked how much I owed them. "No charge," he said.

I must say that I left very happy and with a little bit of a guilty complex because of all of the negative thoughts I had earlier in the day. I will definitely go back to see Manny, Moe, and Jack the next time I need something done.