Monday, February 07, 2005

Super Bowl Musings

10%-This is the percentage of people who were actually interested in the game. There were probably around 60-70 individuals at the party that we attended. All of the kids were out of the room playing other things. Other adults were playing cards, eating, socializing. Never more than ten people sitting in front of the television watching the game. And if it wasn't for the 100-square football pool, the number would have been cut in half.

Food-I heard a news story that made the point: After Thanksgiving Day, Super Bowl Sunday is the day when people eat the most food. I believe it.

Paul McCartney-Someone made a comment that because of Janet Jackson's 'wardrobe malfunction' last year, we are stuck listening to Paul and other similar acts for the next fifty years. Well, I thought that the half time show was one of the best I've seen. A great set of five songs. No flashy costumes or dance moves. Just a band. Even the children who came into the room to watch couldn't help getting into singing, "Na, na na, nananana" with all of the 'older' adults in the room during Hey Jude.

Best Commercial-Definitely the one where people in an airport, after seeing military men and women walking through, stand up and applaud their service and sacrifice for the country. This was a 60-second 'thank you' commercial sponsored by Anheuser-Busch. I felt guilty after watching it that I had a Coors Light in my hands. I immediately went to look for a Bud.