Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Super Tuesday Dilemma

Colorado did not have a primary election today. We had caucuses. Our precinct caucus was scheduled for 7:00PM. Unfortunately for me, this conflicted with a 6:30PM basketball game that Alex played. So far, I have never missed a game (soccer and basketball) that Alex has ever played in. Also, I have never missed one of his karate belt promotion tests. It was important to me that I keep this streak alive. I really want to be one of those Dads that can say (after college is done) that I never missed a game or competition in which my children participated.

With that said, I looked at the pre-caucus polls and I saw that Romney was a huge favorite over McCain and my guy Huckabee here in Colorado. I did not feel that my participation would have an effect on anything. Lisa decided that she wanted to attend the caucus instead of the game. She caucused for Romney. She thought that the caucus was very interesting in that you raised your hand to vote. People had an opportunity to speak for each candidate. She seemed to think that it was much more personal than just marking a paper ballot. She also thought it was really neat to be in a room full of people who were just like her politically. Lisa reports that in our precinct the vote went this way:
Mitt Romney - 53 votes (actual Colorado result 60%)
John McCain - 15 votes (19%)
Mike Huckabee - 6 votes (13%)
Ron Paul - 6 votes (8%)

Oh, by the way we won the 5th grade basketball game in a big scoring game:
Divine Redeemer - 15
Immanuel Lutheran - 7