Wednesday, May 31, 2006

I Blew It (Actually It Was Vons)

On our visit to the Sacramento area, I received a boatload of grocery coupons for my Mom. This morning, I clipped coupons for about a half an hour. And that is with the help of Alex and Marisa. With my coupon wallet full, I headed out to Vons and their 'double coupon' policy.

I wrote in a previous post titled "Curse You, Apple Turnover!", that as part of my job as the main grocery shopper, I have a goal to try to save 50% off regular prices with the use of coupons, club cards, sale prices, rebates, and selective purchasing.

According to my receipt, I saved $55 and paid $85 today. I used $15 worth of coupons (thanks Mom). When I looked closer at the receipt, I discovered that none of my coupons were doubled! I checked their weekly flyer, and they must have recently discontinued their double coupon policy, because I couldn't find any mention of double coupons anywhere within the ad. If it were in effect, I would have hit the magical 50% off.

Next time I will go to Ralphs. They still have double coupons. Curse you, Vons!