Personally, I will follow what the particular parish community does. If they hold hands, I will; if they don't, I won't. It is not a 'battle' worth fighting over. Here is something to think about from the current Karl Keating's E-Letter:
The current issue of the Adoremus Bulletin [a great site and organization] says this in response to a query from a priest in the Bronx:
"No gesture for the people during the Lord's Prayer is mentioned in the
official documents. The late liturgist Fr. Robert Hovda promoted
holding hands during this prayer, a practice he said originated in Alcoholics
Anonymous. Some 'charismatic' groups took up the practice."
My long-time sense had been that hand-holding at the Our Father was an
intrusion from charismaticism, but I had not been aware of the possible
connection with AA. If this is the real origin of the practice, it
makes it doubly odd: first, because hand-holding intrudes a false air of
chumminess into the Mass (and undercuts the immediately-following sign of
peace), and second, because modifications to liturgical rites ought to
arise organically and not be borrowed from secular self-help groups.
Periodically, on Catholic Answers Live I am asked about hand-holding
during Mass and explain that it is contrary to the rubrics. Usually I
get follow-up e-mails from people who say, "But it's my favorite part of
the Mass" or "We hold hands as a family, and it makes us feel closer."
About the latter I think, "It's good to feel close as a family, but you
can hold hands at home or at the mall. The Mass has a formal structure
that should be respected. That means you forgo certain things that you
might do on the outside."
About the former comment I think, "If this is the high point of the
Mass for you, you need to take Remedial Mass 101. The Mass is not a social event. It is the representation of the sacrifice of Calvary, and it is
the loftiest form of prayer. It should be attended with appropriate
solemnity."
Wednesday, April 12, 2006
Hand Holding During "Our Father"
Posted by
Donn
at
9:46 AM
Subscribe to:
Comment Feed (RSS)


















|