Thursday, January 31, 2008

Today's Mass Reflection

I attended today's school Mass. Here are my reflections:

--The Gospel today was from Mk 4:21-25. Jesus asks, “Is a lamp brought in to be placed under a bushel basket or under a bed, and not to be placed on a lampstand?

--Fr. Jim Klein demonstrated this reading to the students (I love visuals) by shining a flashlight he held against his chest and shined it throughout the church. He told us that this light represented Christ's love. We are to show off this light to all that we come in contact with. What good is it if we turned the flashlight on but placed the light under a basket (he demonstrated this too).

--I also reflected that when we are shining the light onto others, those that are around us can easily see the light that we are shining onto the other. This says to me that while we are trying to be Christ to someone, others (like our children) can see what we are doing and how we are affecting another. The light shines brightly for all to see.