Sunday, January 27, 2008

An After Mass Exercise

As a parish (Holy Trinity), we have been reading Rediscovering Catholicismby Mathew Kelly. It is a very good book. One of the things the author asks of us is to, after attending a Mass, write down (journal) what you 'got' out of the Mass that day. Be honest. If you did not receive anything from attending Mass, then write that fact down. Take some time during the week to reflect and meditate on what you have written in your journal.

Here is what I wrote after today's Mass:

--In today's Gospel reading (Mt 4:12-23), Jesus asks what we will give up to follow Him. What will I give up (or leave behind)?
--In the video presentation on "Returning God's Gifts", the annual ministries appeal of the Diocese of Colorado Springs, one of the two main speakers was a St. Mary's High School senior whose father is a Deacon at another parish.
--The presence of Jesus in the Eucharist seemed especially strong today.
--To me, all of the above are related to each other (a message to me).

In the future, I'll try to post what I personally get out of each Mass I attend.