Sunday, September 16, 2007

Spam-O-Rama

Last night we attended a party given by co-workers (Forrest and Nancy) of Lisa. It was the 5th annual Spam-O-Rama. Everyone was supposed to bring a spam dish to be judged by previous winners of the contest. Lisa made Spam corn muffins and I made Spam musubi (rice/spam/rice wrapped with seaweed). Some of the other entries included; Spam pot stickers, Spam and beans, Spockets (Spam Hot Pockets), Spasta salad, Spam-ghetti, Spam-a-cotti, Spesto Dip, among others.

Judging was based upon three categories (I believe). Originality, Presentation, and Taste. From what I understand from the judges comments, I won for originality (while not original to me, I suppose my dish looked very exotic) and presentation (all I did there was to place the musubis neatly on a pizza pan). I think that my dish was very close to the top in taste (the Spockets were very tasty). So, based upon my placing in the three categories, I won! I take home the 'coveted' and very nice looking Spam perpetual plaque. It will be engraved with my name and the name of my dish. As winner, I am obligated to be one of the judges next year and pass on the plaque (a la 'green jacket') to the new winner. I'll post a picture of the plaque when I receive it.

There was also a Spam Toss. About 8 pairs competed in this event. You toss a whole slab of Spam to your partner. When it is caught, you take 2 steps backwards. Continue until it is dropped. Lisa and I won this event. Here is the trophy that we won (and can keep forever!):