Wednesday, December 21, 2005

It's a Sin to Shop at Wal-Mart?

There is a ridiculously idiotic and one-sided article written in the Los Angeles Archdiocese newspaper, The Tidings, that is titled, Is it a sin to shop at Wal-Mart? I have long given up trying to expect a balanced report in any type of newspaper. Here is another example.

The article gives too much credibility to a Jesuit priest, Father John Coleman. It is obvious from his comments that he has never had the responsibility of owning a business. According to him, it seems that the only reason to own any business is for, "paying a living wage and allowing workers to engage in collective bargaining."

Here is a gem from the article on the omnipotent and evil Wal-Mart: When asked what Catholics trying to live a moral, ethical life should do about the super company, the priest didn't hesitate. "They can boycott it," he declared, "just as people have said they're going to try to buy coffee that supports fair labor practices. Why would you support it? Just because you can save a few dollars, a few cents?" Yes.

As I have written before, I Like Wal-Mart. I honestly cannot understand the hatred that there is out there for this company. Do people really believe that the world would be a better place if Wal-Mart had never existed?