I just watched the documentary film This Old Cub. It is the story of legendary Chicago Cubs third baseman Ron Santo. It is a very inspiring story about his career, his battle with diabetes, and the loss of his legs because of the disease. I really did not know that much about him or his struggles with diabetes. My favorite Cub during his era was his infield mate Don Kessinger, who makes an appearance in the film.
Part of the movie documents his hopeful induction into the Baseball Hall of Fame. It features many guest appearances by a broad spectrum of baseball personalities, all saying why Ron should be there.
The movie brought back all kinds of memories for me from the 1969 Cubs. This was the year of the 'Miracle Mets'. Another one of those heartbreaks that we have gone through. Part of the soundtrack included songs from an album that was produced that year that featured the vocals of many of the Cubs on the team. I had that album at one point. I need to see if my parents still have it around somewhere.
Whether you are a Cubs fan or one of the 20 million people in America with diabetes, this is a very good movie to see. A portion of the proceeds from the sale of this movie benefit the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. The film will be shown again on Superstation WGN, August 20th @ 8:30pm PT.
Saturday, July 30, 2005
This Old Cub - Ron Santo
Posted by
Donn
at
2:02 PM
Subscribe to:
Comment Feed (RSS)


















|