And Why They're Wrong.
As I have become more aware of the reason why we do things a certain way during the Mass, I sometimes wonder why some parishes do things differently from one another. I thought all things are supposed to be uniform. There are a few other abuses that I often see, but they are not listed here. I hope and pray that I am not letting these things affect me during the Celebration of the Eucharist.
1. Disregarding the prescribed text of the Order of Mass.
2. Interrupting the Mass.
3. Omitting the penitential rite.
4. Replacing or omitting the homily.
5. Dictating posture.
6. Dictating the manner of reception of the Eucharist.
7. Ignoring rules for reception of the Eucharist.
8. Holding hands during the Our Father.
9. Performing liturgical dance.
10. Closing the holy water fonts at some seasons.
The full text with references can be found in this article written by Kevin Orlin Johnson on the Catholic Answers website. I highly recommend all practicing Catholics to take the time to read the essay.
See also:
--General Instruction of the Roman Missal
--Changes in the Mass
--Appendix To The General Instruction of the Roman Missal For The Dioceses Of The United States
Sunday, July 24, 2005
Ten Most Common Liturgical Abuses
Posted by
Donn
at
8:44 PM
Subscribe to:
Comment Feed (RSS)


















|