We found ourselves on the road yesterday during a fairly heavy snowstorm. We had to go and sign paperwork for our new and temporary apartment. While driving there, we saw a few 4-wheel drive vehicles in the ditch. Here I was driving a 12-year old minivan with 2-wheel drive. Going down a small downgrade with a stoplight at the bottom, I did not brake early enough and I found myself spinning a little out of control. I must admit that it was a bit scary. I got out of the skid, and we got to the apartment complex safely.
Lisa and the kids went to the office while I stayed in the van to make sure that we didn't get stuck on the road. I asked Lisa to please hurry so that we could get back before the snow got really deep. She was rushing the leasing agent along and even offered to leave her a blank check so that we could leave. The agent asked, "Where are you guys from again?" When she found out it was Los Angeles, she replied, "Oh, that explains it, this really isn't that bad of a storm."
Driving back to our hotel, Lisa and I got into a discussion about the proper procedure when you are skidding on snow/ice. I thought that I did the correct thing by steering in the opposite direction of the skid, but she was sure that she had learned it was a counter-intuitive move, and to steer in the direction of the skid. According to the Weather.Com: Driving in Snow and Ice, I believe that I did the right thing. It says, "If your rear wheels skid...Take your foot off the accelerator. Steer in the direction you want the front wheels to go. If your rear wheels are sliding left, steer left. If they're sliding right, steer right. If your rear wheels start sliding the other way as you recover, ease the steering wheel toward that side. You might have to steer left and right a few times to get your vehicle completely under control." Good things to know.
Friday, December 29, 2006
Driving In Snow
Posted by
Donn
at
5:39 AM
Subscribe to:
Comment Feed (RSS)


















|